This August, 50 qualified teachers from the UK & Ireland will travel to work alongside local teachers in the schools supported by Mellon Educate in the townships of Cape Town.
Volunteering has been a crucial element to the success of Niall’s housing initiative and we see this as essential in our work with teachers and schools. The charity has been in existence since 2002, building, in conjunction with the South African government, over 25,000 houses for impoverished communities in South Africa, thanks entirely to our loyal army of volunteers. Our mission in the years ahead is to improve the education for 100,000 of the world’s poorest children.
In volunteering, teachers will resolve to:
- Commit to two weeks in Cape Town in August 2017
- Work in schools alongside teachers in their classrooms
- Support the teacher in a variety of tasks
- Share experience and mentoring good practice
- Share planning notes and teaching material
- Stay in touch thereafter with the teacher partnered with